Let's understand how tickrates work.

RyanNet11

Apr 15, 2021
This street
If you play with your VPN on that could be a likely reason that you experience some weird stuff. VPNs can be really wacky during high demand hours, such as when people are all playing games.

FrumpyDumper

Mar 24, 2023
North Korea
If you play with your VPN on that could be a likely reason that you experience some weird stuff. VPNs can be really wacky during high demand hours, such as when people are all playing games.
I don't play with a VPN. I turn on my VPN for web-viewing which is probably the IP address you just looked up.

FrumpyDumper

Mar 24, 2023
North Korea
I looked them all up, so my apologies for assuming that you play with it sometimes
I had the "optimize bandwidth usage" setting turned on. Googled it, and apparently people are having the same problems.
Turned it off, so I'll let you know once I'm done sitting in queue spot 1 for 10 minutes.

FrumpyDumper

Mar 24, 2023
North Korea
Just turned it off and played a little bit in the tank.
Still the occasional network icon to the right, but it may have improved the awful jittering in my tank view when it rubberbands.

Reactions: Digital Lode

FrumpyDumper

Mar 24, 2023
North Korea
So can we all agree that the server's tickrate is fine?

It's obviously not the server if you're able to fix it on your end, right?
Now that I've discovered the actual problem; Yes the tickrate is likely fine. Most games don't have stupid settings that screw with your connection like this, so it's easy to blame the server.

What a stupid fucking setting. I'm now playing the game perfectly smoothly.

762sledge

Feb 7, 2022
Canada
I get the ping fluctuation and packet loss icons all the time. Doesn't matter if I play on 300mbit/45ping in town or 50mbit/80ping wireless out at the farm.

Its better at night or midday when there is less network congestion in general.

UAVKILL

Jan 19, 2019
I've played on these servers since late 2018, and I have never seen anyone with persistent issues. We have a vast amount of people playing this server for 6-10 hours a DAY and they are all from different geographical locations.

With that said, I don't think that many people, if any at all, persistently have issues with latency or anything else. The occasional hiccup is guaranteed when doing stuff online. But nothing as persistent as you proclaim.

I'd like to break down all the funny images so you can understand what they mean and some reasonable causes for them so maybe we can get an idea of what's going on.
View attachment 7544
This means that the server you are playing on is at an increased load compared to normal. This might be caused by high local traffic or even an increase in players. BF4 servers were likely build to easily withstand the load of the normal 64 players (68 if you wanna count spec and commander). I don't remember ever seeing this in game, and we've had the servers at up to 120 hz before. NO issuse
View attachment 7546
These pictures indicate packet loss. YOU are a software engineer so you SHOULD know that we cant control packet loss. That is the internet doing its thing.
View attachment 7547
This one is for your ping! You say you live in the US, so your ping should be relatively fine if you have a good internet provider. I've seen people with good connection from places as far as Texas have a ping under 10 if they have fiber, mind you the server is in Chicago. WE also can't fix you ping.

View attachment 7549
this symbol is for highly fluctuating ping. WE CANT CONTROLL THAT!!!
View attachment 7551
This one is when your FPS goes below the tickrate of the server. This happens when YOUR FPS goes below the tickrate of the server. The game is 10 years old this year, if your PC cant run the game at 60 FPS maybe try turning on V-sync or something.

As you can see, almost all of these icons are out of our control. We cant control the picture on your screen.
Lowering the tickrate likely will not fic the problem bro.. SOrry

Dude seriously your a awesome moderator.................. I can some it up faster.... It's his ISP connection............ Weirdly enough I get them don't worry about it it's all fun and games. But this game is 10 years old seriously do we care?

UAVKILL

Jan 19, 2019
Like I said, most of the icons are out of our control. If nobody else experiences the issues you have, it likely means its on your end. I have no clue what it might be though.

I do actually, firmware updates. ISP related.............. Connections in house towards router.

I actually use Wifi==== Router and Eth =-== Router connection. Found it much clear than just one. Bandwith hogging.

Proper Router settings also, help. Gamer Prioritize. Yes I'm a overseas player get some mixed k/d ratios just come for the fun. Love Goldmud Railway.

UAVKILL

Jan 19, 2019
View attachment 7548

Here's me pinging your datacenter for a few minutes straight with no dropped packets. My connection to the server is perfectly fine.
I don't play infantry a lot and I'm mainly in tanks, so perhaps vehicles just experience this much worse?

Are you telling me that you don't see the BF4 network icons on the right side of your screen whenever you play on the server?
Is your name really set correctly? North Korea ?

Are you in USA or RPK ?

There would be your major problem, if your using VPN it the game will give your connection all ups and downs of jitter <-- they call it.

whitefish21

Avenger
Dec 19, 2017
Lots of glaring issues in the original post. Sus software engineer as best.

No UO Trace or bufferbloat analysis.

Windows and BF4 do not like each other. This has been discussed ad-nauseam on many reddit and other forums.

I had this issue on and off in the past. It was mainly Win10 with a sprinkle of bufferbloat.

Directly pinging the data center is not going to show you an issue unless its a major dropping of packets. It also wont should you bufferbloat which is usually more significant.

Who has viewed this thread (Total: 2) View details