Let's understand how tickrates work.

FrumpyDumper

Mar 24, 2023
North Korea
Been meaning to make this post for a long time. Finally got around to it. Here we go.
I play on the BF4 24/7 Golmud server. Everything is fine except for one problem. The server cannot handle the current 60hz simulation rate.
Let's understand how a simulation tickrate works in the first place, shall we?

When playing multiplayer games, the server/client simulation clocks must be in sync. Therefore they must also run on the same fixed interval. 30hz = 30 simulation updates per second. 60hz = simulation updates per second.
"But guy! My monitor runs at 144hz." - Yes, the visual render is interpolated between game states. The simulation ONLY runs at the tickrate.

So then: If the server is running at 60hz, it MUST complete each simulation tick in at least 0.016 seconds. That is 16 milliseconds. The network must ALSO be able to keep up with sending the entire map state, to every player, 60 times per second. If this cannot happen, then there is no reason to be running it at 60hz. It does more damage than good, and makes 0 sense from a logical standpoint.

So back to the main problem
. About every 5-10 seconds, my screen gets loaded with these:

eFZ3s.png

My internet is fine. My hardware is fine. I've never experienced this many network issues until I started playing on the AARP golmud server. You can ask any player, and they'll tell you that they get these every 5-10 seconds. It is extremely annoying when you're in a vehicle and the view is constantly rubberbanding and getting thrown around.

The server cannot handle the current tickrate. Period.

How do I know it's the server and not me? Occasionally I'll play at odd times like 2-3AM when the server is 2/5-3/5 full. I don't lag at all. It's perfectly smooth with no rubberbanding happening due to the decreased load on the server.
I've also viewed my network graph while playing on a full server and I'm not coming anywhere near my download speed.

The only two solutions:
- Get a better server. Whether the problem is hardware or network based, I have no idea. Whoever controls the server will need to figure that out. It obviously cannot keep up.
- Lower the tickrate.

Source: Software engineer with a background in working on network engines. All I want to do is play battlefield without rubberbanding every 10 god damn seconds.

If the tickrate was bumped down to 55 or 50, It's extremely unlikely that anyone would notice. This will NOT affect user's frames per second since the simulation and render are decoupled, as I mentioned in the beginning. Everyone with a 144hz monitor will still render the game butter smooth at 144hz, etc. (assuming your PC is fast enough). If anything, each client's FPS would increase.

Last edited:

jsimpson32

Founder MCP
Administrator
Aug 29, 2015
Digital Purgatory
farmersonly.com
background to all: the rc1 server runs on its own machine with two other servers rc2/rc3. The other two don’t run much so cpu resources are well within range.

Frumpy dumper, are you playing from North Korea? Might that be a factor in internet latency connecting to fucking Chicago?

FrumpyDumper

Mar 24, 2023
North Korea
background to all: the rc1 server runs on its own machine with two other servers rc2/rc3. The other two don’t run much so cpu resources are well within range.

Frumpy dumper, are you playing from North Korea? Might that be a factor in internet latency connecting to fucking Chicago?
Yes, I am playing from North Korea's closed intranet. No. I am in the US.

My ping sits around 80ms. No issues with that, nor would a high latency cause something like this to happen.
I am on a wired connection with a generous bandwidth capacity. I am constantly on discord with my friends. Their voices are always crystal clear, never lagging, even when my tank view is flipping out due to rubberbanding every 10 seconds.

I find it very hard to believe that I'm the only person experiencing this, since I've been playing on this server for over 6 months. It's the same damn experience every time. Never had issues with other games (rust for example, absolutely massive scale game), or even other BF4 servers.

If the CPU is fine, then you need to check the bandwidth. Theoretical bandwidth required for game servers grows exponentially with every player joined.
bandwidthRequired = (playersConnected*totalEntitiesByteAmount) * 60;

How did I get this formula?
Every tick, server must pack the game state. It sends this game state to every single player. Individually. It then does this 60 times per second.
Obviously there's compression happening here and there, which is why I said theoretical bandwidth, but it's still a massive amount of data to send.

I play on RC1 as well. Never tried any other AARP servers.

@jsimpson32 I don't know anything about your server hardware, but you could attempt to pin each BF4 server process to it's own individual core. That way they're not jumping around. Game servers are pretty much always single threaded anyways. That being said, You/I still have no idea if it's a hardware or network issue. That would be nice to figure out in the first place.

Last edited:

FrumpyDumper

Mar 24, 2023
North Korea
This website has been up for years and you’re the only one that’s ever come in with a complaint like this..
Capture - Copy.JPG

Here's me pinging your datacenter for a few minutes straight with no dropped packets. My connection to the server is perfectly fine.
I don't play infantry a lot and I'm mainly in tanks, so perhaps vehicles just experience this much worse?

Are you telling me that you don't see the BF4 network icons on the right side of your screen whenever you play on the server?

RyanNet11

Apr 15, 2021
This street
I've played on these servers since late 2018, and I have never seen anyone with persistent issues. We have a vast amount of people playing this server for 6-10 hours a DAY and they are all from different geographical locations.

With that said, I don't think that many people, if any at all, persistently have issues with latency or anything else. The occasional hiccup is guaranteed when doing stuff online. But nothing as persistent as you proclaim.

I'd like to break down all the funny images so you can understand what they mean and some reasonable causes for them so maybe we can get an idea of what's going on.
1679715360087.png
This means that the server you are playing on is at an increased load compared to normal. This might be caused by high local traffic or even an increase in players. BF4 servers were likely build to easily withstand the load of the normal 64 players (68 if you wanna count spec and commander). I don't remember ever seeing this in game, and we've had the servers at up to 120 hz before. NO issuse
1679715721664.png
These pictures indicate packet loss. YOU are a software engineer so you SHOULD know that we cant control packet loss. That is the internet doing its thing.
1679715788296.png
This one is for your ping! You say you live in the US, so your ping should be relatively fine if you have a good internet provider. I've seen people with good connection from places as far as Texas have a ping under 10 if they have fiber, mind you the server is in Chicago. WE also can't fix you ping.

1679715925771.png
this symbol is for highly fluctuating ping. WE CANT CONTROLL THAT!!!
1679715980411.png
This one is when your FPS goes below the tickrate of the server. This happens when YOUR FPS goes below the tickrate of the server. The game is 10 years old this year, if your PC cant run the game at 60 FPS maybe try turning on V-sync or something.

As you can see, almost all of these icons are out of our control. We cant control the picture on your screen.
Lowering the tickrate likely will not fic the problem bro.. SOrry

Attachments

• 1679715521196.png
    1679715521196.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1679715976663.png
    1679715976663.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Haha
Reactions: UAVKILL

FrumpyDumper

Mar 24, 2023
North Korea
I've played on these servers since late 2018, and I have never seen anyone with persistent issues. We have a vast amount of people playing this server for 6-10 hours a DAY and they are all from different geographical locations.

With that said, I don't think that many people, if any at all, persistently have issues with latency or anything else. The occasional hiccup is guaranteed when doing stuff online. But nothing as persistent as you proclaim.

I'd like to break down all the funny images so you can understand what they mean and some reasonable causes for them so maybe we can get an idea of what's going on.
View attachment 7544
This means that the server you are playing on is at an increased load compared to normal. This might be caused by high local traffic or even an increase in players. BF4 servers were likely build to easily withstand the load of the normal 64 players (68 if you wanna count spec and commander). I don't remember ever seeing this in game, and we've had the servers at up to 120 hz before. NO issuse
View attachment 7546
These pictures indicate packet loss. YOU are a software engineer so you SHOULD know that we cant control packet loss. That is the internet doing its thing.
View attachment 7547
This one is for your ping! You say you live in the US, so your ping should be relatively fine if you have a good internet provider. I've seen people with good connection from places as far as Texas have a ping under 10 if they have fiber, mind you the server is in Chicago. WE also can't fix you ping.

View attachment 7549
this symbol is for highly fluctuating ping. WE CANT CONTROLL THAT!!!
View attachment 7551
This one is when your FPS goes below the tickrate of the server. This happens when YOUR FPS goes below the tickrate of the server. The game is 10 years old this year, if your PC cant run the game at 60 FPS maybe try turning on V-sync or something.

As you can see, almost all of these icons are out of our control. We cant control the picture on your screen.
Lowering the tickrate likely will not fic the problem bro.. SOrry
I understand what the icons mean :) I work on server-authoritative netcode frameworks for a living. I get a combination of most of the icons when playing. Trying to figure out why I'm the only person out of hundreds experiencing this.

RyanNet11

Apr 15, 2021
This street
I get a combination of most of the icons when playing. Trying to figure out why I'm the only person out of hundreds experiencing this.
Like I said, most of the icons are out of our control. If nobody else experiences the issues you have, it likely means its on your end. I have no clue what it might be though.

• Love
Reactions: UAVKILL

Who has viewed this thread (Total: 2) View details