I am irrationally angry at having to subscribe to Microsoft office to use word and excel

Jmonty

Clan Member
Clan
Jan 7, 2018
MI
Have you all noticed all the subscription for basic services creep in recent years? All I want to do is keep an updated budget in excel but I have to submit to Microsoft.

MS 365 is only $9.99 a month for a family plan but I have definitely purchased MS office before. I will have to locate my old disk and see if it still works, I've just move so many times in recent years and am away from home and most of my stuff for a few more months.

not to mention adobe premium if i want to edit a PDF. :mad:

anyways, i just wanted to rant because i'm up early for no reason.

does anyone have rage about this and are there any good solutions? i don't know all the rules here but i assume i can't ask for 🏴‍☠️ solutions

OldGunney

Clan
Nov 12, 2018
Kentucky
I use Corel speadsheet to document all my purchases. It came free on my game CD for Warzone 2100.

Just not right to have to pay monthly fee for a program you should be able to buy outright.

Jyrodelix

Clan Member
Clan
Mar 7, 2020
Letterkenny, Ontario
I'm with you Monty...f this subscription crap. I'm paying for an office subscription to use for the job hunt. Yes, i know i can use open office or some other open source/less expensive options, but I'm already stressed, don't need to learn something else. Been using Office for 25 years, don't want to have to learn something else.

And yeah, I'm old. But dammit, I'm tired of learning new shit just to get shit done.

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpeg

whitefish21

Avenger
Dec 19, 2017
Subscription models are the future unfortunately.

5 or 6 streaming services now cost more than a basic or mid level cable TV plan.

Luckily there are still some places that sell keys to the full, non-subscription product pretty cheaply.

Subscriptions are so main stream that there are actually subscription companies that monitor your other subscriptions and recommend cancelling subscriptions that it recognizes you not using. :ROFLMAO:

whitefish21

Avenger
Dec 19, 2017
To show how stupidly far its going, BMW just had to back track on a proposed subscription model for heated seats in their vehicles.

Toyota/Lexus also proposed and then backtracked on subscriptions for what used to be added options.

This trend will continue as software controlled features take over.

Digital Lode

Clan
Jul 29, 2018
Mn
Dropped my netflix, Didney+, Motortrend, Pandora and a few others.

Kept Amazon, because of general ease.

Kept Microsoft 365 subscription because it allows me greater ability, even on my phone. Is it worth the monthly fee? That is debatable..

For my budget, I'd subscribe more if monthly prices were 1/2 what they are now. Even 2/3 the cost I'd pick up a subscription as long as it served a purpose.

Most of the streaming services aren't worth the price they are asking. Their promo prices can be nice, but I'll turn my nose up at that in this economic climate.

I'd rather spend money on being somewhere with people at this point. Or, getting myself out to the middle of nowhere and soaking up sunshine.

Fuck streaming services. I'm with you on that. Dreading youtube tightening their hold, but it's coming.

Reactions: whitefish21

whitefish21

Avenger
Dec 19, 2017

Kept Microsoft 365 subscription because it allows me greater ability, even on my phone. Is it worth the monthly fee? That is debatable..

For my budget, I'd subscribe more if monthly prices were 1/2 what they are now. Even 2/3 the cost I'd pick up a subscription as long as it served a purpose.

Most of the streaming services aren't worth the price they are asking. Their promo prices can be nice, but I'll turn my nose up at that in this economic climate.

I'd rather spend money on being somewhere with people at this point. Or, getting myself out to the middle of nowhere and soaking up sunshine.

Fuck streaming services. I'm with you on that. Dreading youtube tightening their hold, but it's coming.
I know a bunch of people doing a rotation of 1-2 services every 3 months. You should be able to get though a years worth of released content in a few months, then cancel that sub and move onto a new one. Seems to work.

Reactions: Digital Lode

Jyrodelix

Clan Member
Clan
Mar 7, 2020
Letterkenny, Ontario

A good internet connection with a provider that doesn't suck, a good vpn, and a good tracker site. I'm going back to pirating. Or reading. Most of the stuff on TV now is just shite anyhow

Jmonty

Clan Member
Clan
Jan 7, 2018
MI
Also I'm sick of every company asking for an evaluation. Bitch, if I want to do your job for you I'm going to get paid.

• Haha
Reactions: Jyrodelix

Jmonty

Clan Member
Clan
Jan 7, 2018
MI
I just use the free alternatives. Otherwise I used to just pirate it. Though, I have access to most of these as a student.
I might get a job at a college when I'm out of service, so hopefully that's a perk. I tried using my student email but apparently that got taken away when I graduated lol

With as much money as the university made from the army for me they should pay for my MS office access for 50 years

Seabee_Mech

Clan
May 14, 2022
Ohio, south of Canada.
A rotary dial public pay phone on the front porch beats any subscription or streaming services any day of the week. ☎️ 🏚️

Urban legand: The Internet originally started as part of McD’s drive-thru speaker system. 🔈

• Haha
Reactions: Digital Lode

Jmonty

Clan Member
Clan
Jan 7, 2018
MI
Is there not a student version that you can purchase outright?
I'm not a student anymore and the school had a license where you had to log on thru the institution. Office is all subscription based now. I could get a military discounted I think it's a family version for $70 for a year.

Who has viewed this thread (Total: 2) View details