Has anyone personally experienced a GPU (12VHPWR) connector meltdown?

Seabee_Mech

Clan
May 14, 2022
Ohio, south of Canada.
On 8 Sep 23, my good ole CableMod 90-degree adapter (version 1.0) (variant-A) decided to register early for Medicare. 😞😵☠️👻

What makes me laugh/cry/laugh is that ASUS 4090's has 70% of the failures reported using these adapters from CableMod. o_O

Do I hear Warranty RMA? Nope. That adapter voids my GPU's warranty. 😿

The only good thing is that CableMod is paying for the repairs. (y)

CableMod 90-Degree Adapter.JPG

16-Pin (12VHPWR) Connector.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Digital Lode

Vegetaa03

Clan
Feb 27, 2023
San Antonio TX
Contact Nvidia directly and chances are you will get a new card they have a system for it. Somebody opened up a class action lawsuit against them and they immediately issued a statement showing they would replace it for you. Edit***** sorry I did not read this slowly. Good luck with that. Warranty went bye bye 🥲 sorry that happened. I think you can still be oI. How much was that mod?

Reactions: Seabee_Mech

Seabee_Mech

Clan
May 14, 2022
Ohio, south of Canada.
That almost makes me happy I got a 4080. Almost. Still wish I had gotten a 4090.
The 4090 OC is great.

I got mine in Apr 2023 before the whole 16-pin plug idea went off the rails.

I still believe that the material used to make the plug metal sockets is made out of the same filament material they use in toasters. 🔥

Seabee_Mech

Clan
May 14, 2022
Ohio, south of Canada.
Contact Nvidia directly and chances are you will get a new card they have a system for it. Somebody opened up a class action lawsuit against them and they immediately issued a statement showing they would replace it for you. Edit***** sorry I did not read this slowly. Good luck with that. Warranty went bye bye 🥲 sorry that happened. I think you can still be oI. How much was that mod?

The 90-degree adapter was around $39.00 USD from CableMod which is a very big business in PC custom cables. I caught the problem early so only the power connector that is soldered to the PCB board was damaged.

MSI, ASUS, and a couple other brands state in the fine print about using only 3rd party approved parts from the GPU manufacture. So far, everyone who has a smoking GPU will have the same problem. CableMod is buying the cards for those with servere melting damage and repairing the others.

Reactions: Digital Lode

Vegetaa03

Clan
Feb 27, 2023
San Antonio TX
I’ve had my MSI 4090 roughly since launch, I saw the issues popping up for some people but I do wonder how common it is now. I had my guy who owns a PC shop put it together and he triple checked to make sure it was plugged in all the way so I’m HOPING I am good until the 5 series in 2025. It only runs at 100 percent maybe 1 or two hours a day during gaming. I just try to treat it like a Ferrari or a BMW M5 and just accept the fact that if I abuse it then it will catch on fire lol. I still have my left over 980 ti 2080 ti and 3080 ti because my tin foil hat ass still thinks GPUs even used one day could spike hard core in price over some random geopolitical issue and I will not go quietly into the night.

Last edited:

Who has viewed this thread (Total: 3) View details

Who has watched this thread (Total: 4) View details